Tom Doherty of Cardinal Publishers Group presents need-to-know pointers for independent publishers seeking distribution for their books.
- the different types of distributor
- typical working arrangements, including exclusivity, house accounts, chargebacks, and services
- what you need to provide to find a distributor (such as a solid marketing plan!)
- the importance of keeping the lines of communication open
- working with online retailers
Also: your questions on Digital Review Copies and royalties.
Tom Doherty has been president of Cardinal Publishers Group since 2000 and publisher of Blue River Press since 2004. Prior to Cardinal Publishers Group Tom worked in publishing for nearly twenty years including eight years in book distribution with Time-Warner and The Hearst Corporation. During his time at Cardinal Publishers Group, a full-service distributor, Tom has launched more than a hundred new imprints. As publisher of Blue River Press he published notable New York Times bestselling authors James Alexander Thom and Jack D. Hunter as well as category non-fiction and regional best sellers. You can check out his site at cardinalpub.com.
Peter Goodman (host) is publisher of Stone Bridge Press in Berkeley, California. He began his publishing career in Tokyo, Japan, in 1976. A longtime member of IBPA, he has served on the IBPA board and as IBPA board chair.