Mike Mansel is a Certified Insurance Counselor, and here he shares his decades of experience working with publishers large and small on sorting out their insurance needs.
Highlights of this podcast include:
- types of liability insurance
- the role of Intellectual Property attorneys in defending claims
- do insurance companies just settle or do they go to bat for their customers?
- why to avoid jury trials
- do all publishers need insurance?
- what does publishers liability insurance cost, and do costs depend on the kinds of books you publish?
- is having general business liability insurance enough?
- “claims made” vs “occurrence” based policies: know the difference!
- is it an advantage to be an LLC vs a C-corp vs a sole proprietorship?
- what is the leading source of claims against publishers?
- what’s a “hammer” clause and why is it important that you know?
Here’s a link to the BookBaby Blog article by Scott McCormick, on using song lyrics in your book: http://blog.bookbaby.com/2018/11/lyrics-in-books-your-questions-answered/
Mike Mansel is a Certified Insurance Counselor with Aegis Insurance Markets. He is a highly experienced and respected insurance and risk management professional who has been involved in providing expertise to commercial and business clients since 1977. Among his areas of expertise are Patent Insurance, Litigation Reimbursement Insurance, Representations & Warranties, Climate & Weather insurance, Claim Denial insurance and more.
Mike is well-known Nationally as a media authority. He serves as an expert witness and speaks nationally on insurance and media matters and exposures. He is a Practicing Law Institute faculty member for Intellectual Property Insurance.
Mike holds the Society of Certified Insurance Counselors (CIC) designation. He is the Educational Consultant for The National Alliance for Education & Research of Austin, Texas, and is a National faculty member for Workers’ Compensation, Time Element, Business Automobile, Commercial Inland Marine, Legal & Ethical, Intellectual Property, and Aviation Exposures for the Society of Certified Insurance Counselors.
You can reach Mike at
Peter Goodman (host) is publisher of Stone Bridge Press in Berkeley, California. He began his publishing career in Tokyo, Japan, in 1976. A longtime member of IBPA, he has served on the IBPA board and as IBPA board chair.